Free School Meals
All primary school children in Wales will get free school meals by 2024. Currently pupils from Reception to Year 2 are able to receive free school meals. By 2024 all pupils in primary school will get free school meals.
Parents of children in Year 3 to Year 6 are are entitled to receive free school meals in Wales if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Income Support
• Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190. (HM Revenue and Customs are responsible for assessing the level of annual income.)
• Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
• Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
• Universal Credit
• Young people who receive Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
If you are in receipt of any of the benefits listed above, you can register for free school meals by applying online at www.newport.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals. A paper form is also available from your Local Authority by email: email@example.com or telephone: (01633) 851579
Cost & Payment
The current cost of school meals is £2.30.